Join us on the forum by clicking this logo !

Facebook logo

Hullbridge Village History

Welcome to Dave Wiffen's Postcard Gallery.

Here you will find Copies of postcards owned by Dave.
This section is for Francis Frith. We have the permission of Francis Frith to publish them under copyright.

The images are just thumbnails of the main picture which can be accessed by simply left clicking on the relevant image.

Francis Frith Pt 1.
Postcard photo taken approx., 1950's showing the Anchor Cottages in Ferry Road
									Hullbridge close to the River Crouch. FRITH HLBG 1
Anchor Cottages

The postcard photo was taken approx., 1950's. The photographer is standing outside the entance to the Anchor Inn on Ferry Road, Hullbridge.
Postcard photo taken approx., 1950's showing Anchor Inn
									, Ferry Road, Hullbridge. FRITH HLBG 2
Anchor Inn

Postcard photo taken approx., 1950's showing Anchor Inn , Ferry Road, Hullbridge. The photo shows the side and front on the building and is taken from its courtyard. The courtyard was used as a terminus and turn around point for the local buses.At the time of this photograph the Anchor Inn was run by Mr. Alf Moss. This building was the second Anchor Inn, the previous one was over 400 years old and stood at the entrance to the courtyard. Like most pubs at that time there were two entrances a Public Bar and a Saloon. The door you see is the entrance to the Public Bar. The Saloon entrance was round the front.
Postcard photo taken approx., 1950's showing Coventry Corner Stores. FRITH HLBG 4
Coventry Corner.

The postcard photo was taken approx., 1950's. The photographer is standing opposite the timberyards and hairdressers.On the right of the picture is a white shed this is Mr Eddie's office on the corner of Kingsway. On the opposite side is Coventry Corner Stores, the being run by Mr and Mrs Cullis with one of the taxi's that operated from there parked outside.
Postcard photo taken approx., 1950's showing Coventry Corner. FRITH HLBG 5
Coventry Corner.

The postcard photo was taken approx., 1950's. The photographer is standing in teh middle of the road by Coventry Corner and is shooting towards Abbey Road and Watery Lane.On the left is a dropped kerb, thsi is the start of Kingsway, a lot smaller than it is today. PLease not the no speed limit sign on the lamp post, can you imagine the speed of traffic coming down Coventry Hill ! The 1st property on the left is the old Coventry Stores now run by Mrs ?? it was a tea room and fresh produce store.
Postcard photo taken approx., 1950's showing Up River Yacht Club slipway. FRITH HLBG 23
Derelict Brickfield Wharf.

The postcard photo was taken approx., 1950's. The photographer is standing in On the frontage of the Tower Caravan Park. You can see the old crane that is situated on what was the begining of the old Brickfields Wharf.
Postcard photo taken approx., 1950's showing Up River Yacht Club slipway. FRITH HLBG 25
Up River Yacht Club slipway.

The postcard photo was taken approx., 1950's. The photographer is standing in front of the Anchor Inn's garden and shows tourists and locals enjoying a walk along the river path. Three gentlemen appear to be coming from the Anchor and are heading towards the rivers edge, two are heading towards the Ferry and one is walking towards the caravan site which is situated just beyond the Up River Yacht Club which had recently purchased the piece of land next to the Anchor Inn. In the background can be seen a crane That is standing on the remains of the Brickfields wharf and was used to load and unload the cargo for the Thames Barges that moored alongside.
Postcard photo taken approx., 1950's showing Dick Hymas's Ferry and hut. FRITH HLBG 26
Dick Hymas's Ferry and hut.

The postcard photo was taken approx., 1950's. The photographer is standing in front of Hullbridge's first lamp post which was at the entrance to the "Pavilion" tea rooms and dance hall. On the right can be seen Dick Hymas's hut and signs. The boat he used to ferry passengers can be seen tied up to the riverbank wall on the Ferry Road slipway. The rivers edge has always been an attraction to people and a couple and their children are no exception as they stand by the edge and watch people sailing by. In the background can be seen the North riverbank with cars parked at the end of Ferry Road, South Woodham Ferrers.
Postcard photo taken approx., 1950's showing a small yacht approaching Hullbridge.
									Hullbridge close to the River Crouch. FRITH HLBG 29
Approaching Hullbridge's Anchor Inn by boat

The postcard photo was taken approx., 1950's. The photographer is standing on the North side of the river at South Woodham Ferrers and shows a small cabined yacht travelling down the river from Battlesbridge to Hullbridge.On the right looks like a river passenger boat which is near the end of Ferry Road. Behind the boat can be seen Mr Dick Hymas's (Hullbridge's Ferryman) hut from which he we apply his trade and also hire out boats. Further long bunting is flying in the Anchor Inn's garden edge, and people are congregated around the flag poles used to signal messages to sailors. In the far left of the picture can be seen the motorised crane near the newly establised Crouch Caravan Park.
Postcard photo taken approx., 1950's showing Ferry Road by Ambleside and Mayfield FRITH HLBG 31
Ferry Road by Ambleside and Mayfield Ave.,

The postcard photo was taken approx., 1950's. The road to the left is Ambleside and burried behin a very bushy tree is Mr Long's Newsagents and opposite behind one of the very old oak trees that used to be down Ferry Road is the Mayfield Club.
Postcard photo taken approx., 1950's showing Pevensey Gardens. FRITH HLBG 33
Pevensey Gardens.

The postcard photo was taken approx., 1950's. The photo shows Pevensey Gardens . This was part of a plan by Mr A W Crabbe to sell over 1500 plots of land centered around Shepherds Farmhouse and its moat. The estate was to be called Hockley Garden Estate and on the plan there was even a railway station, so that shows you how far big the estate was.
Postcard photo taken approx., 1950's showing the Tower Caravan Park Riverbank. FRITH HLBG 35
Tower Caravan Park Riverbank

Postcard photo taken approx., 1950's showing the Tower Caravan Park Riverbank, Hullbridge. The photographer is standing on the North side of the river at South Woodham Ferrers and shows a small cabined yacht and other smaller boats moored just off the riverbank of the Tower Caravan Park. Caravans are neatly lined up around the fields edge and children are playing in the river by a slipway.
Postcard photo taken approx., 1950's showing The Tower Caravan Park. FRITH HLBG 37
Tower Caravan Park Riverbank.

The postcard photo was taken approx., 1950's. The photographer is standing on the opposite side of the river and shows one of the fields belonging to the Tower Caravan Park with caravans parked neatly around its borders. In the background behind the field can be seen the row of terraced cottages in Pooles Lane. In the middle can be seen the old Tower which was used to store water when the brickworks where situated where the caravan site is. further along on the left can be seen the newly built bungalows situated also in Pooles Lane.
Postcard photo taken approx., 1950's showing the Tower Caravan Site 
									from the top of the Tower. FRITH HLBG 40
View of Tower Caravan Park from the top of the Tower.

The postcard photo was taken approx., 1950's. The photographer is standing in the wooden structure on top of the old water tower.In the background just beyond the Caravan's site's hedging is the Up River Yacht Club Building, the Anchor Inn and beyond them the Anchor Cottages, Wayfarers Cafe and George Boul's garage.
Postcard photo taken approx., 1950's showing the Tower Caravan Site from
									 the top of the Tower FRITH HLBG 42
View of Tower Caravan Park from the top of the old water tower.

Postcard photo taken approx., 1950's . The photographer is standing in the on top of the old water tower and in the foreground can be seen a caravan with "The Healing Mission" and a white crucifix on the side.
«--Back to Gallery Home page--» OR «--Forward to next set of Postcards.--»