Join us on the forum by clicking this logo !

Facebook logo

Hullbridge Village History

The History of 129 Ferry Road.Ordnance Survey Grid Ref (TQ 809 947)

High Elms Farm.

In 1843 when the tithe map was drawn up this was part of High Elms Farm which was owned by the Trustees of William Tunsten and occupied by James Harvey.

The earliest sign of this property appears on the 1953 Ordnance Survey map and it was not on the 1947 Ordnance Survey.
Sylvia Wortley recall in her memories "Harry had purchased some land in Hullbridge, using Mr Little, who was his preferred local Estate Agent. Upon his return from the Army Jack moved into Station Road, Rayleigh and started work in the "lockup shop" in Hullbridge, at the same time work had started on a new shop with living accommodation above in Hullbridge, next to the Village Hall. Upon its completion Jack and his family moved in."

H Wortley Butchers

c1951 c1951

This was Mr Harry Wortley's 2nd shop in Hullbridge, his first was a lock up at 139 Ferry Road. Although called H Wortley it was his son Jack and his family who lived above and worked in the shop ably assisted by brothers Dick and Bob.

H Wortley and Sons

Jack Wortley and Son

In 1967,68 the shop had Tel Hullbridge 294

The Freezer Shop

In March 1992 the shop was The Freezer Shop with a Bakery and new to it a Greengrocery.

Acknowledgement is made to the following contributions that this history was compiled from:-