Hullbridge Village History
List of Landlords
List of Ferrymen
The earliest that the Anchor Inn is captured in documents is in 1769 Quarter sessions when John Hubbard was licensee.
A Essex Standard newspaper clipping reports that at Chelmsford Petty Sessions July 19 1833.
Robert Baker Ferryman at Hull-Bridge was charged with assaulting Samuel Searle, servant to S Phillips esq.,
It appeared taht the complainant had been out with his master and was left at Hull-Bridge with a horse and chaise.
In the early 1900's the business was owned by a Southend brewer, Henry Luker and Co.
It was in 1929 that the old Inn was acquired with 5 acres of adjoining land by Mann, Crossman and Paulin.
In 1937 the 400 year old Inn was pulled down to make way for the existing building which was built by Byford Brothers with the building facing the river and not Ferry Road as did its predecessor.
The property as it was 2008 with its neat row of bench seats in its river front garden.
The property is taken over and given a new look
Acknowledgement is made to the following contributions that this history was compiled from:-