Join us on the forum by clicking this logo !

Facebook logo

Hullbridge Village History

Historical Photographic Walk Through Village.

Welcome !
Here you will find images of Hullbridge, primarily from the collections of Bill Trower, Dave Whiffin and myself. We start our journey at Lower Road, the top of Coventry Hill.


Lower Road (Hullbridge Road).
Coventry Hill
Black and White postcard photo was taken approx., 1922 at the time of the development of South Hullbridge.
									The photographer is standing in the road on Coventry Hill and is shooting down the hill towards 
									Coventry Corner, a crossroads. Here is a approaching the crossroads from the opposite
									direction to the photographer. To the right of the van appears to be a garage forecourt with
									two petrol pumps. Either side of the road on the hill is a bank on which is hedgerow. On the 
									right near the photographer are three white steps up the bank to a wooden roofed arch over a wooden picket gate. 
									<br/>
									The Garden Estate and Coventry Corner Stores have yet to be built. c1922
Tuck HBGE8
Coventry Hill/Coventry Corner

The postcard photo was taken approx., 1922 at the time of the development of South Hullbridge. The photographer is standing on Coventry Hill and is shooting down towards Coventry Corner where a van is near the crossroads. On the corner appears to be the forecourt of the garage built by Mr F Eddie.
The Garden Estate and Coventry Corner Stores have yet to be built.
OWNER:Mr D. Whiffin .
Postcard photo taken approx., 1940's showing Coventry Corner
 									from Lower Road. c1935
Bell 142186
Coventry Hill/Coventry Corner

The postcard photo was taken approx., 1935's the same time as Bell142187. The 1st property on the right corner is Coventry Corner Stores with an advertisement for Robins starch. Just across Ferry Road can be seen George Boul's Garage with two pumps and just beyond the newly built Hullbridge Builders. To the left just beyond the horse and cart can be seen the entrance to Kingsway which led to Mr Thorpe's Hanover Farm.
Hullbridge Garden Estate
Black and white photograph c1927 showing an unmade crossroads. The road straight ahead goes up a hill
									that has large tall trees on the brow. In the foreground on the right is a small timber framed
									bungalow, On the left side is a newly brick built bungalow. This is Coventry Corner at the start 
									of Hullbridge Garden Estate by Frank Eddie Ltd., 1927

Hullbridge Garden Estate / Coventry Corner

The building on the right is the home of Mr Eveleigh's (Frank Eddie) son-in-law Thomas Welsh who has just built the building on the left which is named "Flanders. OWNER: Mrs Maureen Blake
Postcard photo taken approx., 1920's showing the start
 									of development of the Garden Estate on Lower Road just before Coventry Corner. 1931
Padgett 6012
Garden Estate / Coventry Corner

The postcard photo was taken approx., 1928 at the time of the development of South Hullbridge. The photographer is standing in Hullbridge Road, Hullbridge as it was called then. Later it was called Lower Road. The bungalows in the foreground where known as the Garden Estate which ran from Coventry Corner to just before White Bridge which was on the corner of Watery Lane.
On the corner on the left can be seen the Hullbridge Builders Yard with its timbers for sale standing tall.
Alongside is Mr George Boul's garage with its one petrol pump. A recently erected telephone poll stands erect on the corner or Ferry Road and Lower Road and just across the road is a building owned by Mr F Eddie, this building is soon to become Coventry Corner Stores, and the shop can be seen being built in the photograph. The hill straight ahead is Coventry Hill and the road on the right by the road sign and two boys sitting down is Kingsway.
1964

Mr. Henry John Richard Eveleigh (Frank Eddie)

OWNER: Mr. S. Welsh.
1935

Plotland owners

This is a list of purchasers of plotland from Mr F Eddie. Some of them never got to develop their land because of WWII and the compulsory purchase of the land by the Ministry of Ag.,
1929

"Flanders" Coventry Hill

OWNER: Mr. S. WELSH.
1932

Hullbridge Garden Estate

The estate in its infancy without any footpaths but entrance to Abbey Road exists.
c1933

Lower Road


OWNER:Mr. S. WELSH.
c1933

Lower Road


OWNER:Mr. S. WELSH.
c1938

Lower Road


OWNER:Mr. S. WELSH.
Postcard photo taken approx., 1930's showing Coventry Stores 
									on Lower Road. The stores were jointly owned by Mrs Carr and Mr Launder c1935

Coventry Stores / Lower Road

The postcard photo was taken approx., 1935 at the time of the development of South Hullbridge. The photographer is standing in Lower Road near Coventry Corner and is shooting across to the newly built houses.The stores are owned jointly by Mrs Carr and Mr Launder and in the middle is a young Beattie Carr on her small bicycle. Mrs Carr went on to run the Hullbridge Post Office and Mr Launder set up his own newsagents in Ferry Road until he sold it to Mr Long. .
OWNER:Mr. G.Congram.
1935

Hullbridge Garden Estate

The estate in its infancy without any footpaths but entrance to Abbey Road exists.
c1934

Abbey Road / Lower Road


OWNER:Mr. S. WELSH.
1935

Hullbridge Garden Estate

The estate in its infancy without any footpaths but entrance to Abbey Road exists.
Postcard photo taken approx., 1940's showing Coventry Corner. 1935
Bell 142187
Coventry Corner Stores.

The postcard photo was taken approx., 1935. The property on the corner of Coventry Corner has been turned into a shop selling provisions and newspapers. It has two entrances, one on the corner and one on the Coventry Hill side. The entrance to the house is in Ferry Road. The building was designed so that large advertisements could be placed to attract custom. Here we can see the advertisement for Reckitt's Blue which was a Carbolic soap used in a wash (NOT washing machine) as a whitener, to help delay the yellowing effect you can get when cotton gets older.
OWNER:Mr. D.Whiffin
1938

Coventry Corner

OWNER: Mr. B. Trower.
c1950

Coventry Corner.

OWNER:Mr. B. Trower
1950

Hullbridge Garden Estate

The estate in its infancy without any footpaths but entrance to Abbey Road exists.
c1965

Coventry Corner.

OWNER:Jean Booth
c1980

Coventry Corner.

The end of the Coventry Corner Stores in 1980.
OWNER:Shirley
1968
Daily Mirror
Lower Road.

The flooding in August 1968 of Lower Road.
OWNER:Mr. G. Congram.
«-- Back to Photo Gallery Homepage. | Part 2--»